Sunday, October 23, 2005

Broad Ripple Gazette

I'm now writing a column for the Broad Ripple Gazette. Here are the latest entries...

Review
Musical Family Tree Show
The Gizmos
Friday, November 11th
The Patio


I’m not sure that this is much of a show review, the night was more of a trip down memory lane for me. The combination of knowing the Patio is closing and seeing the Gizmos brought back flashes of the times I’ve spent at the Patio.

I need to take you back to my musical formative years. Unlike most kids I did not grow up listening to music. We did not have a record player when I was young and we did not watch much television—my friend Aaron says I grew up a car and a light bulb from being Amish. My parents paid for some disastrous piano and guitar lessons, but I never connected with the music. If Nancy Drew wasn’t interested, neither was I.

I took my shy-farm-girl-self to Purdue. I remember sitting in my freshman dorm in 1980 and hearing that John Lennon had been killed, and I had no idea who he was. Then by virtue of typing a paper in a common room of the Student Union (I also went to college sans typewriter!), I met Chris Clark the newly elected president of the Purdue student body. Chris had run for president to promote his band, Dow Jones and the Industrials. They won by a landslide, the largest percentage of students to vote, ever. Apparently they needed an innocent looking person to get the checks signed for all of their fun events (there was an actual Department of Fun Stuff) by the Dean. Musically I went from zero to punk rock. The Gizmos and Dow Jones put out a record, Hoosier Hysteria, together that same year.

It was outstanding seeing Dale Lawrence and Billy Nightshade and the rest of the Gizmos being just as energetic and amazing now as they were twenty-five years ago. They played a great set including my favorites, Dead Astronauts, and their version of Take Me To The River. I came a close to dancing as I ever do!

It was great to see how many musicians were there, also standing front and center (typically they stand in the back of the room) paying homage to this great band of musical trailblazers.

For more information about Indiana bands and their history see www.musicialfamilytree.com. You can next see Dale Lawrence at the Patio, playing the last show, Saturday, November 26th.


Jason Wilber
Saturday, December 3rd, 8 pm
The Indy Hostel
4903 Winthrop Avenue

The Indy Hostel winter concert series is in full swing. The Hostel is a marvelous, intimate venue. If you've never been to a house concert, this is a great way to really enjoy the music. Everyone is there to hear the music-- no bar chatter, smoke, or cappuccino machine noises. It’s just like having your favorite musician perform in your living room.

Jason Wilber is one of my absolute favorite musicians. A lifelong Indiana resident, Jason has performed all over the US and Europe, playing a variety of instruments while backing up notable folk, rock, and country artists Carrie Newcomer, Todd Snider, Hal Ketchum, Iris DeMent, and songwriting legend John Prine. His work with John Prine includes two Grammy nominated albums. Award-winning songwriter in his own right, Jason’s songs have been recorded by artists in a wide variety of styles. His 1998 solo debut CD, Lost In Your Hometown earned rave reviews (and a permanent place in my CD player). The 2000 follow-up Behind the Midway also enjoyed widespread praise, earning a 4-star review in Music City's daily paper, The Nashville Tennessean.
His TV and radio appearances include Late Night with Conan O’Brien, Sessions At West 54th Street, Austin City Limits, Live with Regis and Kathy Lee, CNN’s Entertainment Week, and The Grand Ole Opry.

Jason’s coming to the Hostel fresh off of an East Coast tour. I’m sure he’ll have some great travelling stories. One of my favorite songs, The Galway Waltz, was written after spending an early morning in a hotel lobby in Ireland.

For more information or to reserve tickets see www.jasonwilber.com, www.indyhostel.us or 727.1696

Spud Puppies
Locals Only
2449 E. 56th Street
Friday, December 2nd
“Off the Leash”


The Spud Puppies are celebrating the release of their latest CD “Off The Leash” at Locals Only on December 2nd.

This band of merry newgrass musicians is known for their high-energy shows, terrific harmonies, expertly played stringed instruments, and superb rhythm section. Newgrass is a fun terms that was coined to describe music that blends bluegrass, rock, and country blues played on traditional stringed instruments.

The Spud Puppies have been together since 2001, and is made up of Indianapolis music veterans. Their first CD, “Pick of the Litter”, earned great reviews and this CD is eagerly anticipated.

Locals Only got it’s start in 2002 as the Hideaway on Hillside. I always felt like they were the beer and wine, grown-up version of CATH Inc. The walls are filled with original art, and they host great original music. They have created a great community of artists, musicians, and fans of both.

For more information about the Spud Puppies see www.gregzmusic.com,. For Locals Only www.localsonlyindy.com 255.4013

No comments: