Saturday, July 19, 2008

Broad Ripple Gazette, vol 5. no 15


Jack Barkley
Saturday, June 21, 2008
The Monkey’s Tale


I completely forgot to write about this in the last issue. I’d been feeling a bit disconnected lately from Broad Ripple, which is odd since I spend so much time there. But I realized that I unless I was working I hadn’t spent too much daylight time in the Village in ages.


The first day of summer was a great day to reunite with Broad Ripple. I went the Farmers Market in the morning and wandered in to the Village after that. I ended the afternoon with a Boogie Burger (my first, yumm) and some great music. Jack Barkley played his perfect for a Saturday afternoon music. He had a group of enthusiastic fans on the sidewalk. His adorable daughters held handmade signs and cheered their papa on.


The day reminded me how much I love living in Broad Ripple.

www.thejazzcooker.com
www.boogieburger.com

Cliff Morrow and Terry Anderson
Thursday, July 3, 2008
Keiffers
Tekamah, Nebraska


I went to Tekamah, Nebraska for Blogstock ’08. You read that right; I went to Nebraska to meet fellow bloggers. No one was more surprised than me. I had a blast. We were in the Tekamah (population 1872) Independence Day parade, I ate way too much meat and rode a horse.



Some of our group sang Karaoke. I was not part of that group. When I tried out for choir in seventh grade only two of us didn’t make it and the other one was in special education. I have taken that as a sure sign that I should never sing. Our host, Cliff Morrow has a beautiful voice. He’s the choir director at the First Baptist Church of Tekamah. He sang a duo with journalist Terry Anderson, showing us how Karaoke is supposed to be done.

www.tekamah.net
www.midwestproducer.com

Mark Jungers and Whistling Mules
July 11, 2008
Indy Hostel Outdoor Stage


The Indy Hostel outdoor stage is quickly becoming my favorite place to see music. Austin’s award winning Mark Jungers brought his deeply American roots music to the stage, or in front of it actually. They played within spitting distance to the audience.
I was loving the music, but had to head out to the next stop. I look forward to hearing them their next time through town.

www.markjungers.com
www.indyhostel.us


April Combs and Michael Mann, Christian Taylor, Brandon Whyde
July 11, 2008
The Upper Room


I was happy to finally hear April Combs and Michael Mann. April’s music and voice was everything I’d heard– lush and beautiful, soft and powerful all at the same time. It was a little disconcerting to hear Highway to Hell bleeding though the windows from the band playing outdoors. Her songs are emotional and smart. Victor Hugo kicks AC/DC’s ass any day.
I loved hearing April and Michael cover Dale Lawrence’s Katie. Especially since I was sitting right next to him.
Christian Taylor, from the band America Owns the Moon played next. His solo set included lots of originals and a Neil Young cover or two. Christian runs an open stage every Tuesday at the Red Eye Café downtown.



Brandon Whyde has a powerful enough voice to drowned out the bar chatter. As April Combs said, “His voice is made for an arena. I predict he will be famous some day.” I think she’s right. He’s in some pretty heady company already. He co-wrote a song with Josh Kelly.
Brandon had the crowd paying attention, dancing and requesting songs. It was a pleasure to hear him.

www.myspace.com/aprilcombsmusic
www.myspace.com/christiantaylorsongs
www.myspace.com/brandonwhyde

Karen Irwin and Scott Ballantine
Sunday, July 13, 2005
The Cana Point Grill
8:30-ish to midnight
832 E Westfield Blvd



Karen Irwin and Scott Ballantine play almost every Sunday (except the first Sunday of the month) evening. It is a lovely way to ease in to the new week. Karen’s powerful voice and Scott’s amazing guitar playing are perfectly suited. I think I’ve found my second favorite Sunday night activity…the first being avoiding writing this column.



www.canalpointgrill.ws

Out and about:

Indy Hostel
4903 Winthrop Avenue
317. 727.1696


I get the most questions about the Hostel. I’ve tried over the years to explain what the Hostel is: warm, open, clean, friendly dormitory-style lodging catering to travelers. I think it’s time for to tell you what the Hostel is not: scary, a flophouse or a halfway house. It is a lovely place to see music and meet interesting people. There is plenty of parking along the side of the house on 49th Street. John and Karen are friendly and love music. Give the Hostel a chance, you’ll be glad that you did.

No comments: