Friday, June 6, 2008

Broad Ripple Gazette, vol 5. no 12

(Monday, June 2, 2008) I’m sitting in the lobby of a cool little boutique hotel in Washington D.C. I can see the Capital from here – if I really stretch and stand on one leg. It is just right around the corner. And it’s on an actual hill! I’m here for the National Nonprofit Congress. Exciting stuff.
Yesterday’s walk around the area took me by two festivals. One was celebrating the 60th birthday of Israel. I got to hear Regina Spektor sing followed, inexplicably by Oscar the Grouch. The Philippine Festival’s music was a little bizarre, a not-so-good cover band. The food, on the other hand rocked! I had rice and noodles (carbs + carbs) and some fried tubes of sausage things. I almost had bubble tea for the first time ever, but they must have been out. The kid (and I mean kid, I think he was about eleven years old) poured me something from several blender shakers. Kind of like a ‘suicide’ bubble tea. It was delicious. I did also take a quick swing through the Hirshorn Museum of Modern Art. It was as advertised: chock-full of modern art.

Tonight a group of us went to Marrakesh for a Moroccan meal, complete with a belly dancer. The food was wonderful and it felt a little naughty to eat with your fingers. The belly dancer was great…and that felt a little naughty also.



http://www.reginaspektor.com/
http://www.marrakesh.us/

Stasia Demos, Cara Jean Wahlers, Cliff Snyder
Wine Cellar (below the Corner Wine Bar)
Thursday, May 29, 2008


I could feel the love as I descended the steps to the Wine Cellar. Stasia Demos, Cara Wahlers and Cliff Snyder are all warm, charming and talented. To have them sitting in a row was almost too much to bear. The three singer-songwriters traded songs and the inspiration behind them. And all three were great.

Stasia put on her usual stellar performance. Her songs are thoughtful and quirky. Cliff is a great storyteller and recognizes the irony of hating billboards and having one installed across the street from his house. Cara sings like a bird, and can make even her sad songs sound fun.

I wish I could have stayed longer, but I rushed home to write this column. And we can see how well that worked as I’m sitting in the hotel lobby writing at midnight. Check on Cliff, Cara and Stasia gigs and all sorts of other music at: http://www.indianapolissongwriterscafe.com


Previews:

Loretta CD Release and Farewell Show
Friday, June 6, 2008
Birdy’s
2131 E. 71st Street
254-8971
21+


The four-man (three are brothers) rock band is simultaneously releasing an album and playing their last show, although another record is rumored for later this year. The Weidner brothers – Jason, Damon and Jeremy and friend Stan Muller have been playing together for quite a long time. I was one of the judges for the 2002 (I think, anyway) Battle of the Bands. Judging was fun, because on one ever guessed that I was one. People would sidle up to me and discussed who might be judging. It was hard not to giggle. Anyway, I think that was the year that Loretta won the Battle.

Make sure that you catch them one last time; I know that I’ll be there.

http://www.lorettamusic.net/
http://www.birdyslive.com/


LonPaul Memorial/Benefit Concert
Sunday, June 15, 2008
Fountain Square
Murphy Building (1043 Virginia Ave, suite 4) 5:00- all ages, donation
Radio Radio (1119 Prospect St) 7:30 – 21+, $15



The show is a memorial concert that will also serve as a benefit event for LonPaul's son’s Educational Trust. The bands have not been announced yet, but trust me – the show will knock your socks off. I suggest buying your ticket now. I’m pretty darn sure the show will sell out. Purchase your ticket on http://www.musicianfamilytree.net/. I’ll see you there, for sure.


MKNA Twilight Tour
Friday, June 20, 2008
48th Street, between Washington and Pennsylvania
$50.00, 6:30-11:30


The Meridian Kessler Neighborhood Association is kicking off their home tour with a mini tour, dinner, silent auction and dance the night before. It is always a blast. The theme this year is Walk on the Wild Side and band The Fabulous Imports are playing.

Meghan Martin has been part of the home tour committee for the last three years. She shares, “I'm always excited to attend the Twilight Tour. I love a good party and I'm always curious about other people's homes. This event combines the two! There are three houses and one garden on tour for the Twilight. I got a sneak peak at one and it is just beautiful. I can't wait to see the others. Also, this year is especially exciting because it's back in the neighborhood at a steal of a price, only $50 per person. This should leave me some extra cash to spend at the silent auction, which benefits local nonprofits.”

To purchase tickets visit: http://www.mkna.org/. I’ll see you there.


Out and About:

Billy Bragg gave a shout out one of our favorite musicians, Otis Gibbs in the Wall Street Journal weekend edition!

They asked Billy about his five favorite songs infused with a social message.

His choices are: Chuck Berry 
'Roll Over Beethoven,' from 'Chuck Berry Is on Top' (1959)
Sam Cooke 
'A Change Is Gonna Come,' from 'Ain't That Good News' (1964)
Bob Dylan 
'I Shall Be Released,' from 'Bob Dylan's Greatest Hits, Vol. 2' (1971)
The Clash 
'I'm So Bored With the USA,' from 'The Clash' (1977)
Otis Gibbs 
'The People's Day,' from 'One Day Our Whispers' (2004).

How cool is that?

No comments: