Thursday, May 14, 2009


Previews:
ABC’s Extreme Makeover: Home Edition, Indianapolis edition
Sunday, May 17, 2009
Locals Only
2449 E. 56th Street (just off of 56th Street and Keystone Avenue)
smoke-free, 21+, doors 6:30

If you’ve been around me at all in the last month you know how much I loved hanging around the Extreme Makeover: Home Edition site. The day has finally come – the special two-hour season finale will air Sunday, May 17. I had a blast being on the building site each day and I can’t wait to see what the inside of the house looks like. I’m also looking forward to seeing how they piece the show together. This photo is of a scene that they shot several times in front of the house. Think it will make the cut?

The lovely folks at Locals Only are opening up the pub for a viewing party. If you’ve never been to Locals Only this is the perfect time to check it out. The food is wonderful and the kitchen will be in full swing. There is plenty of room for everyone to sit and watch the show.
This is the kick-off to my birthday week (I like to stretch the celebration out) that also includes the Willie Nelson show and a Phillies game in Cincinnati. I’ll be the one in the Home Makeover tee shirt. I’ll try to restrain myself from wearing the hard hat. I’ll see you there!

http://localsonlyindy.com
http://abc.go.com/primetime/xtremehome

Vulgar Boatmen
Saturday, May 23, 2009
Spencer’s Stadium Tavern
802 S West St Indianapolis
21+, 9:00

This is should be on your short list of shows this week. The Vulgar Boatmen are playing an acoustic show at Spencer's. And they don’t play often. They had an especially fun time when they were there last. We've played there twice before and had an especially fun time last spring.

www.spencerstavern.com
www.myspace.com/vulgarboatmen

Reviews:
Stacey Earle and Mark Stuart
Big Roots Show
April 30, 2009
Locals Only

The Thursday Big Roots Show continues to host great local and touring musicians. I was really looking forward to this show. I first saw husband and wife team Stacey Earle and Mark Stuart in 2002 (before I ever dreamed about writing about music) and I have been talking about her talent and quirkiness ever since. Think honky-tonk folk.

Stacey Earle is a great storyteller. She led in to a song about mother’s intuition with a story about the tablet the song was written in and a trash bag. She walked among the crowd singing and charming us all. Mark Stuart is an amazing guitar player, but switched to the piano to accompany Stacey for her last song. They ended the show with a piano duet – Chopsticks.
You can hear another member of the Earle family, Stacey’s nephew Justin Townes Earle, June 5 at Radio Radio.

Scott Ballantine and Karen Irwin
May 7, 2009
Wine Cellar (Corner Wine Bar)


Scott Ballantine and Karen Irwin are playing every Thursday in May in the Wine Cellar at the Corner Wine Bar. Karen Irwin has a bigger than life voice and it is fun to see her in this intimate venue. Scott Ballantine is a terrific guitar player – he is amazing to watch. They play a mix of standards and classic pop songs.

The Wine Cellar serves the wonderful food -- including the 12.95 Filet Mignon special and has a full bar along with the great wine selection that you would expect in a wine cellar.

From there I headed to The Big Roots Show….

www.cornerwinebar.com

Jason and the Punknecks
Big Roots Show
May 7, 2009
Locals Only


I’d joked; half seriously that Jason and the Punknecks scared me. I had a much better time watching them than I did the last time I saw them (at the now defunct Sam’s Saloon). Husband and wife team, Jason and Polly Punkneck could not be any different than Mark Stuart and Stacey Earle that I saw on the same stage the week before. Honky-tonk folk to honky-tonk folk.
Jason and Polly play with great enthusiasm. Polly assured us that, “we like morality, just not normalcy.” Good to know.

No comments: