Friday, May 9, 2008

Broad Ripple Gazette, vol 5. no 10

I’ve been super busy lately…I know, I know, what’s new Spitznogle? You’re always busy. Let’s see…to catch up, the MacBook arrived and I promptly burned a blister on to the top. That might have set a new record for how quickly I’ve dinged up something new.

The day the computer arrived was great. I got home in time to mow the lawn for the first time this year --for the first time since it's been 'my house, my yard.' The mower started up on the first pull and I finished five minutes before the rain began. I popped a bowl of popcorn and sat in my living room with the door open, lights off and candles lit. The house smelled great-- rain, springtime, freshly cut grass and the scent of a candle that I bought in Ireland. I didn't turn on the television all night (even though the pull of Ugly Betty, The Office and Grey's Anatomy was pretty heavy). I sat in my grandpa's old rocker in the dark and wrote and rocked and thought and rocked and wrote and enjoyed being in my house.

Around 11:00 I put my hand on the top of the computer to shut the lid and made a horrible discovery. I honestly thought I was going to faint. The beautiful smelling Belleck candle from had melted a spot on the top of the computer.

I’m happy to show off the new black MacBook, just pretend like you don’t see the big bump.

Justin Townes Earle
Friday, April 25, 2005
Spencer’s Stadium Tavern

Tammy Lieber and I trekked out of our Broad Ripple comfort zone to see Justin Townes Earle. I always try to write about Justin with out mentioning that he is the son of Steve Earle and namesake of Townes Van Zandt, but that is nearly impossible. And as much as he might not want it to be, it’s part of his story. I cannot imagine how hard it is to be 25 years old, sober for four years and constantly being compared to his iconic father.

This was my fourth time seeing Justin in Indianapolis, and I’m a big fan. I have one of his posters hanging in my office and listen to his “Yuma” CD often. I’m really enjoying watching Justin try out new styles and grow in to his own skin. I’m also thrilled to see that Indianapolis is starting to support him. The first couple of times that I saw him the same dozen people were in the audience. This show the dozen of us (minus Otis and Amy) were joined by fifty other people. It warmed my heart to see people singing along and dancing to Justin’s songs. I think a big part of that has to do with Justin’s new album being featured on the listening posts at Luna Music.

Justin played a song about being a 15 year-old in a Methadone clinic in North Carolina. It occurred to me that methadone is the new whiskey in country music songs.

Justin was touring with Cory Younts. Cory played harmonica, banjo and mandolin. The two created some good old honky-tonk fun. They played Buck Owens and Merle Haggard. Justin teased Cory about his banjo “looks like some hillbilly put strings on a drum.”

For this first time since I’ve been seeing Justin he played one of his father’s songs, “because he was in a good mood.” Off stage Justin told me that he finally came around to singing his father’s songs after a fan pointed out that if someone came to see Arlo Guthrie, they would expect to hear a Woody Guthrie song and know that he was honoring his father’s music, not trying to be his father.

I purchased his new CD, “The Good Life,” but have not had a chance to listen to it yet. He played a lot of his new songs; they had a Western swing, honky-tonk flavor. I like how he’s experimenting with his sound, finding his own groove- just like any 25 year old should.
I also experimented with something at this show, trying to find my writing groove. I decided that I could take notes on my iPhone. It’s got a notebook feature and it lights up. Perfect solution, right? Wrong! I felt so lame, like I was sending text messages instead of listening to the music.
www.myspace.com/justintownesearle


Peter Sagal
Block Forum Series
Indianapolis Hebrew Congregation


The Block Forum series is celebrating its 25th anniversary this year. Peter Sagal is the host of the quiz show Wait Wait…Don’t Tell Me! And he’s very funny. He told us that he could not do his typical talk because he usually plays clips from the show and was not able to do that here. He talked about how Indiana is ripe for political pandering and we could play a good prank on the politicians by pretending that our only concern was with oversized golf clubs. You can read the whole essay on his Web site.

Peter just published his first book “The Book of Vice. Very Naughty Things (And How To Do Them). When he was signing my book, I mentioned that I’ve always wanted to be known as Naughty Nora, but I could never quite pull it off. Peter signed the book: To Naughty Nora, maybe this will help.

I’ll keep you posted.


Mini Marathon
Saturday, May 3, 2008

Thanks to all of the musicians who played along the Mini Marathon route. I cannot tell you how much it is appreciated. I really enjoyed Win With Willard, they were pop-y fresh faced goodness even that early in the morning, especially after I know they played at the Melody Inn the night before. Oh, to be young again.

Previews:
Second Friday, Second Helpings
Friday, May 9, 2008
9:00, 21+, donation to Second Helpings
The Upper Room (above Broad Ripple Steak House)
Cara Jean Wahlers, Jenn Christy and Dawn Matheson

This is the third installment of the Second Friday, Second Helpings series. The musicians (note the all-woman lineup) will trade songs and stories - my very favorite way to hear music. I’m already a big Cara fan (The Breakups, 19Clark25), I’ve been remiss in not hearing Jenn sooner and I’m not even sure if I’m spelling Dawn’s name properly – so it will be a fun new discovery!
Last month the show raised $100 for Second Helpings, it was really appreciated- noticed the gas prices recently? Feel free to bring rice and pasta- we use 125 pounds every single day.

Friday, May 16, 2008
7pm,
$5, all ages, non smoking
Frank Dean, Bill Price and Brent BennettBoulevard Place Café
4155 Boulevard Place
Cliff Snyder is presenting the first of a monthly songwriter series hosted by the Indianapolis Songwriters Café. Cliff is the hardest working man in the singer-songwriter world. He’s put together an amazing Web site. He describes the Indianapolis Songwriters Café as a “community bridge, bringing together information and resources for both local artists and fans of songwriter music.

The ISC will host a monthly show the third Friday of the every month at Boulevard Place Cafe, featuring three songwriters in the round. Creating a true listening room environment that will give both performers and audience an intimate, memorable experience where songs can be heard and stories can be told. The Web site is loaded with information on local venues, a community calendar, promoters and songwriter friendly press/radio contacts, open mic events, house concerts and more. ISC will serve as a one-stop shop for anything songwriter related in Indianapolis.

The long-term goal of the Indianapolis Songwriters Cafe is simple - to create an atmosphere & culture where Indianapolis finds more songwriters performing original music locally and to see more fans connected with artists.”

The Friday show will feature Frank Dean (Sindacato), Bill Price (Brains behind Pa) and Brent Bennett (Brent Bennett & The Movers).

Cliff has created a wonderful thing. Please check out the Web site for lots of great information. As a bonus, you get see my air-brushy professional photograph.


Broad Ripple Farmer’s Market
Saturday’s,
8:00-noon behind BRHS
May 10- Chad Mills
May 17- Tom Duncan

I had to miss the first week of the Market (Mini Marathon), so I’m looking forward to Saturday. Take some time to hang out and hear the music.

Tonic BallFriday,
November 21

You heard it here first- The King vs. Queen.
Yep, Elvis songs will be covered in the Fountain Square Theatre and Queen in Radio Radio.
Oh, baby

No comments: